ALLEGRO
Hello wise ones.

Is there any "real" benefit to connecting my 16K to WiFi?  I would only utilize the free features

Thanks ahead.
Quote
grsthegreat
the only thing i can think of is Generac's offer of 5 years free warranty if you sign up for wifi.

personally i use Genmon on my unit, as its totally free to use but you have to but the unit. my evolution 1 system did not include wifi.
Quote
MacL
The clock will remain correct year-round; the exercise will therefore occur at the same time year round instead of floating back and forth by an hour twice a year; timely firmware updates, and the ability to use the mobilelink access which has a free side.
State your problem, not your diagnosis.
Quote
ALLEGRO
What are the free features of mobilelink?
Quote
Geoff Z

The free MobileLink gives you a dashboard to look at your generator information. You will not get alerts. 

Your warranty will not be upgraded to the extended warranty with the free MobileLink program

Quote
BrianMartin
[QUOTE username=Geoff Z userid=6422524 postid=1311516818]

The free MobileLink gives you a dashboard to look at your generator information. You will not get alerts. 

Your warranty will not be upgraded to the extended warranty with the free MobileLink program

[/QUOTE

Geoff are you sure about the warranty not being extended? I thought that as long as you made wifi connection, you qualified.
Quote
grsthegreat
I was told you have to buy the upgraded versions get free 5 year. Let me go check my notes.

yup, says “included with connection and first year subscription. Starts 6 months after subscription. “ Does not say you have to purchase next years subscription though so I’m unclear on that
Quote
Geoff Z
Geoff are you sure about the warranty not being extended? I thought that as long as you made wifi connection, you qualified

Brian, Yes I am sure. The warranty statement reads as if the free WiFi program qualifies you for 5 year extended warranty. My rep and I went to warranty people at the time for clarification. We were told that is indeed true. That is when I reported it here on the forum. This is the previous thread:

https://www.zillerstore.com/post/generacs-new-warranty-blurb-10427410?pid=1311356446

Now they are saying it requires the paid program to qualify for the extended warranty. We told them the extended warranty statement should be rewritten to make that clear.

grsthegreat, I agree the flyer reads only the first year paid subscription is required. However the warranty statement reads they reserve the right to rescind the extended warranty if WiFi is not maintained. Does that mean paid program? I will work on clarification on this.
Quote
grsthegreat
sometimes Generac drives me nuts. they make things too complicated. the last generator i installed i spent 2-1/2 hours trying to get the wifi to work. i ended up having to replace the controller thru service and getting generac to reimburse me for my time. ended up being a $400 service on something that should not be that complicated. even the wifi registration process sucks. way too many retyping the same info.

im retiring now and only doing service work. i have stopped installing new units except for a few that i promised to install after last winters snows shut me down. im personally glad i dont have to mess with Wifi installs anymore.

i just got a call from a customer that upgraded his home wifi and now the generator wont communicate anymore. now i have to drive 45 minutes to go take a look. this is why i love my Genmon system. been flawless since day i installed it. up and running in no time
Quote
BrianMartin
grsthegreat wrote:
sometimes Generac drives me nuts. they make things too complicated. the last generator i installed i spent 2-1/2 hours trying to get the wifi to work. i ended up having to replace the controller thru service and getting generac to reimburse me for my time. ended up being a $400 service on something that should not be that complicated. even the wifi registration process sucks. way too many retyping the same info.

im retiring now and only doing service work. i have stopped installing new units except for a few that i promised to install after last winters snows shut me down. im personally glad i dont have to mess with Wifi installs anymore.

i just got a call from a customer that upgraded his home wifi and now the generator wont communicate anymore. now i have to drive 45 minutes to go take a look. this is why i love my Genmon system. been flawless since day i installed it. up and running in no time


grs, if they changed internet providers or even just changed the wifi password, you'll need to redo the entire wifi set-up... I warn new customers of this so that they realize this will a require a service call to fix, and it is not a "problem with the generator" that should be covered under warranty.
Quote
jdave77
grsthegreat wrote:
the only thing i can think of is Generac's offer of 5 years free warranty if you sign up for wifi.

personally i use Genmon on my unit, as its totally free to use but you have to but the unit. my evolution 1 system did not include wifi.
Quote
78buckshot
I don't have one bit of trouble with Wi-Fi/Genmon/Etc. on my 4390-0, I HEAR it exercise each week at the prescribed time and it runs in an outage, what more can I ask of an automatic home generator. When the wife is concerned about our newer vehicles giving trouble codes I tell her to drive the 1978 Vette or the 1957 Chevy or even take the 1955 IH tractor to town - none of them will ever throw a fault code and they will get you there and back. Just my 2 cents.
Quote
UPS
78buckshot wrote:
I don't have one bit of trouble with Wi-Fi/Genmon/Etc. on my 4390-0, I HEAR it exercise each week at the prescribed time and it runs in an outage, what more can I ask of an automatic home generator. When the wife is concerned about our newer vehicles giving trouble codes I tell her to drive the 1978 Vette or the 1957 Chevy or even take the 1955 IH tractor to town - none of them will ever throw a fault code and they will get you there and back. Just my 2 cents.


Another Genmon advantage is the ability to extend the exercise period.  I know there are various opinions on the subject, but I don't think 5 minutes warms up the engine sufficiently in cold weather.

The Raspberry Pi, the core of the Genmon, has an ethernet jack which can be used for direct connection, instead of Wi-Fi, if desired.
Quote
78buckshot
I was trying to lighten up the conversation with a little sarcasm, no bells and whistles on my 4390.
Quote
UPS
78buckshot wrote:
I was trying to lighten up the conversation with a little sarcasm, no bells and whistles on my 4390.
 

Missed that.  Thought you were just saying how well Wi-Fi, etc., was working.  I don't think they had invented Wi-Fi when the 4390 was made...  Of course, somewhere, somehow, someone might try to connect one to the "cloud".
Quote
78buckshot
One of the drawbacks of typing/texting/forums/etc. - we don't always hear/feel/see the true meaning of the communication. All is good.
Quote
Geoff Z
boys boys...lets get along...don't make me come over there!!! 😂😂😂 We aren't a glum bunch...we need to have a little fun along the way!!
Quote
Geoff Z
I reached out again about the ambiguity of this subject, asking for clarification in print. I don't know that we will get anything back. We have done everything we can from our end. I would recommend that each dealer reach out to your rep as well. If they are contacted from several different directions hopefully they will consider a rewrite. I made it clear if we as dealers are confused, how will the public be?
Quote
78buckshot
I agree.
Quote