Av8or91
Hello all,

New here and just acquired a 60KW Generac diesel generator at auction. Looks to be built in 2007 with only 200 hours with what I believe is an H100 controller. It is currently set up for 120/240 single phase and I would like to hook this up to my house as a standby and am just curious as to which transfer switch would work with this generator. Currently looking at an rxsw200a3 but just not sure if this is the right transfer switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote
murphy
60,000 watts divided by 240 volts is 250 amps.  You would not be able to use the full capability of the generator with a 200 amp switch.  That said my house has 200 amp service and most of the time is around 10 to 15 amps.  Even when charging the car that adds at most 80 amps.
Quote
Av8or91
I see a 200 amp breaker on the generator already so I am assuming I can’t exceed that.  We have 2 150 amp panels but we will do a load Check and see how many amps we are pulling with our normal use. Just wanted to make sure this switch would work with this genset 
Quote
Geoff Z
I'm not familiar with the H100 controller. Some of the other guys will be able to help with that. A serial number for the generator would be helpful. If you have 150amp panels you must use 150amp switches.
Quote
Av8or91

Geoff Z wrote:
I'm not familiar with the H100 controller. Some of the other guys will be able to help with that. A serial number for the generator would be helpful. If you have 150amp panels you must use 150amp switches.


serial is 4899541
model 0053675

So in order to power both 150 amp panels would that be 2 150 amp switches? 

Quote
Peddler
You will need either an GTS two wire switch from Generac or any other 2 wire switch for that matter that is a smart switch.  You can use the HTS Generac switch but I would not recommend it as it requires a comms cable and frankly they are problematic.  None of the R series switches will work period.  I will say that that generator is plenty big to handle both panels but you would either need two 150 amp switches or one 400 which may require more extensive wiring. 
Quote
Av8or91

Thanks for that information! So 2 150 amp panels with 2 wire start capability should do it? Any brand ? 


Also just curious the r series panels won’t work with this? 

Quote
Birken Vogt
Do you really need this big of a generator?  If you don't need it, it could be a money pit.

My own saying, "The wrong generator for free will cost more than the right one at full price"
Quote
Cobranut
I agree with Birken,
Running a diesel engine under light load for extended periods can lead to cylinder glazing and loss of ring seal.
Engines, especially diesels, need to be run near full load from time to time.
Also, a larger generator will burn more fuel under the same load than a more appropriately sized unit.

If you decide to use two switches, you only need one smart switch to control the generator, and slave the second switch to the first.
I went with a single 400a Thomson switch because it kept my system simpler and the wiring neater.
Quote
Av8or91
Thanks for all the info.  I didn’t plan on getting a generator but sometimes when the deal is too good you can’t pass it up. If I told you what I paid for it, it might make sense why I got it. This is purely a back up system, if I have to spend a little more to run it, that’s fine with me.   Changed the oil and fuel filters yesterday fired it up, runs smooth just would like to get it hooked up the right way.  I Do have an electrical contractor doing the install but I want to be as informed as possible.  I will report back if anything comes up, thanks again for the responses.  
Quote
Av8or91
Also when it comes to fuel burn, probably going to be around a 25 percent load on this, expecting about 2 gallons per hour at this load rate.  Compared to LP or natural gas on let’s say a 22kw unit which would be at a 75 percent load plus, I’m guessing fuel burns would be comparable? 
Quote
cookelec
Check the gen connection box. Some of those verizon units came with two breakers. One was a 200 amp and one was a 100 amp. The 100 amp was an option. Either way you will need a 2 wire start transfer switch as stated by Peddler.
Quote
Av8or91

cookelec wrote:
Check the gen connection box. Some of those verizon units came with two breakers. One was a 200 amp and one was a 100 amp. The 100 amp was an option. Either way you will need a 2 wire start transfer switch as stated by Peddler.


Yup I saw 2 breakers in there. Thanks again, looking at asco switches now. I have found a couple used GTS switches as well.  Any recommendations on where to buy ? 

Quote
Brian Baughman
You will have to run loaded exercise cycles on that generator to prevent wet stacking.  And, you will probably also have to maintain at least 15-20 kW of load on the generator while it's running in an outage to keep the exhaust temps up.

Also just use basic ACSO 2 wire start ATS's with that generator for use of installation.
Quote
Peddler
The Asco 300 are the only ones I would use in that brand.  
Quote
BillM
Av8or91 wrote:
Thanks for all the info.  I didn’t plan on getting a generator but sometimes when the deal is too good you can’t pass it up. If I told you what I paid for it, it might make sense why I got it. 

This is just too big of a generator in my humble opinion.  It's exactly the kind of pit you might want to avoid.  For under 4 grand you can get the right generator for your implementation, with a new warranty and the transfer switch included.  I have a great dealer, they will bust their balls to help you with the install.  Call them at (888) 294-5537.  I wish you luck, I like projects too.  On a side note, I saw your nickname and if you are ever at 57C let me know.  I have a small 6 seater, a TBM 900.
Quote
Av8or91
Peddler wrote:
The Asco 300 are the only ones I would use in that brand.  


Looking at an asco 300 are they all 2 wire compatible? 
Quote
Av8or91

BillM wrote:

This is just too big of a generator in my humble opinion.  It's exactly the kind of pit you might want to avoid.  For under 4 grand you can get the right generator for your implementation, with a new warranty and the transfer switch included.  I have a great dealer, they will bust their balls to help you with the install.  Call them at (888) 294-5537.  I wish you luck, I like projects too.  On a side note, I saw your nickname and if you are ever at 57C let me know.  I have a small 6 seater, a TBM 900.



Thanks! At this point I think I’ll have to go ahead and give it a go.  If I need to increase the load past 30 percent on weekly runs I’ll figure out a way to do that, maybe utilizing the additional breaker to power my 5th wheel but I’ll see where we are at when we get it going. If need be load banking could probably be arranged every so often.  If it doesn’t work out I can look back and say that was fun.  


I do fly for a living but haven’t been in a small plane since 2011 although a ride in a TBM would be something I’d hop into! I think the closest I get to that airport is either Rockford or Madison and rarely do we overnight unless we break down.  

Quote
BillM
Av8or91 wrote:

I do fly for a living but haven’t been in a small plane since 2011 although a ride in a TBM would be something I’d hop into! I think the closest I get to that airport is either Rockford or Madison and rarely do we overnight unless we break down. 



Sounds like fun.  I don't work in the industry, just love to fly and that's the fastest I can afford .... I lease it.  I'm going to upgrade to a 910 one of these years and add Garmin Auto-Land.  
Quote
Peddler
As far as I know all ASCO 300 are 2 wire compatible.
Quote
Av8or91
Peddler wrote:
As far as I know all ASCO 300 are 2 wire compatible.


With wires 0 and 183 which seem to be the start wires on the generator, do you know which studs those would connect to on the Asco 300? I can see studs 14,15,16 on the transfer switch which are associated with engine start 
Quote
Peddler
One of those studs is the common and one is normally open and the other is normally closed.  You want the normally open stud so that when power fails the switch completes the circuit of the two start wires.  Are you sure about the 0 & 183 on the generator end, 183 sound familiar but I didn't think the other was zero but it may be.  We don't use too many two wire start set ups. 
Quote
Av8or91
Peddler wrote:
One of those studs is the common and one is normally open and the other is normally closed.  You want the normally open stud so that when power fails the switch completes the circuit of the two start wires.  Are you sure about the 0 & 183 on the generator end, 183 sound familiar but I didn't think the other was zero but it may be.  We don't use too many two wire start set ups. 
88E6C94C-2B40-43D2-A935-4229335B5E2C.jpeg 
Quote
Av8or91
Also thanks for that explanation, all the wire is run, going to finish the set up on Saturday.  
Quote