RobertS
Generac Model 44560 SN#3579589 Propane 2001

Battery dies every other year (I can live with that). Last week when I replaced the dead battery, the green SYSTEM SET light failed to come on. When putting the fuse back in, all lights blink on.

1. Putting the switch in AUTO mode does not make the green light come on. The exercise button will not start the unit.

2. Additionally when starting in MANUAL mode, sometime the system just clicks (electronic) about every 5-6 seconds. Switching to OFF and back to MANUAL then starts the motor fine. When the system is running in MANUAL mode, all four red lights blink. They do not blink in AUTO mode.

I replaced the control board, same thing happens. What else could it be?
Quote
MASTERTECH-MW
Mastertech

RobertS;7767 wrote:
Generac Model 44560 SN#3579589 Propane 2001

Battery dies every other year (I can live with that). Last week when I replaced the dead battery, the green SYSTEM SET light failed to come on. When putting the fuse back in, all lights blink on.

1. Putting the switch in AUTO mode does not make the green light come on. The exercise button will not start the unit.

2. Additionally when starting in MANUAL mode, sometime the system just clicks (electronic) about every 5-6 seconds. Switching to OFF and back to MANUAL then starts the motor fine. When the system is running in MANUAL mode, all four red lights blink. They do not blink in AUTO mode.

I replaced the control board, same thing happens. What else could it be?


Try checking your switches also the safety system. I am working on a 13 kW generation that was hit by lightning. After I changed control transformer and then transfer relay, it had every fuse blowin in the thing. It is sorta doing the same thing. I do know I have had a lot of problems out of that transformer on them. Check your voltage. See if you have 16 on both taps.

Kenny Z
Quote
RobertS
THANKS Kenny. You were right. It turned out to be the auto switch. Back up and running fine.
Quote
Canada_Guy
RobertS;7767 wrote:
Battery dies every other year (I can live with that).


You might want to read the threads about exploding batteries. If your batteries are dying from overcharging (charger float voltage too high), an exploding battery (and the resulting generator damage) is a real possibility.

A replacement charger is less expensive than a couple of batteries, or generator repair.

Check your battery float voltage. If it is over 13.0 to 13.2 volts, the charger is over-charging.
Quote
techntrek
On the other side of the coin, if the batteries are only holding a charge for a year or two (and it isn't because the electrolyte is being boiled off), then the charging voltage may be too low. When a battery is chronically under charged it will sulfate and die quickly. Either way I would bypass the internal system and add a good battery maintainer charger.
Quote
johnc
Nice to know about the under charge problem. But generac's charger overcharged batteries. Canada guy gave us the proper charge voltage. Battery tender plus works great for me. Others have posted their charger preferences over on the exploding battery thread. Get rid of that piece of garbage charger before it blows up the battery. Blown up battery took out my stator, over $650 to replace new, just for the part.
Quote
techntrek
Yes, there is a problem with over-charging and exploding batteries (knock on the lid of my 4456, mine doesn't show signs of this problem...yet), but all the OP said was "Battery dies every other year", so I wanted to cover all possibilites. I'm curious what voltage he is seeing, if he ever returns.
Quote
Canada_Guy
techntrek;7942 wrote:
but all the OP said was "Battery dies every other year", so I wanted to cover all possibilites.


You are absolutely correct. I assumed the common fault of over-charging, but it certainly could be undercharging or even a bad charger with high AC component.

I am just a homeowner of a Generac, but I have added battery voltage check (both DC and AC volts) to my semi-annual checklist. I use the 13.0 to 13.2 volt range as acceptable. Either over or under voltage is cause for concern.

Thanks again for your addition.
Quote