halp
Hi:
Just purchased a model 5888 (7KW) unit that I will be installing next month.
In looking at the transfer switch I noticed that it contains
5 x 15 amp single pole breakers
1 x 20 amp single pole breaker
1 x 15 amp two pole breaker
is it possible to replace the two pole breaker with 2 single pole breakers?
Also can a 15 amp breaker be replaced with a 20 amp breaker.
This generator will of course not run my whole house. I am also aware that I will not be able to run all items at the same time. I have no need for the two pole breaker, but do have two ckts that currently are connected via 20 amp breakers.
Thanks for any help. This is a great forum
Hal
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
It is quite apparent that you have no familiarity with electrical codes. I highly recommend that you hire a competent qualified (for generator installations) electrician for the project.

In most places, you must pull a permit for the installation and you must have it inspected when finished. Regardless, you need to do the job according to all applicable codes in your area.

One important thing to understand is that your generator must be able to power ALL of what you have automatically connected to it. If it won't, you will need a larger generator or some automated load shedding equipment.
Skip Douglas
Quote
halp
Hi Skip:
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Actually, I am an electrical engineer, I am hiring a licensed electrician and plumber to do the work and of course, permits will be pulled for the job.

I was simply asking if the circuit breaker location in the transfer switch would accomadate (phisically) different breakers. The two 20 amp circuits that I will be powering are feeding convenience outlets that currently have just lamps plugged into them. I just wanted to keep them at 20 amps so that during regular operation (no power failure) I could use them for operating tools or other equipment.
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
halp;11753 wrote:
I was simply asking if the circuit breaker location in the transfer switch would accomadate (phisically) different breakers. The two 20 amp circuits that I will be powering are feeding convenience outlets that currently have just lamps plugged into them. I just wanted to keep them at 20 amps so that during regular operation (no power failure) I could use them for operating tools or other equipment.
You should be able to swap out the breakers in the transfer switch for others of different ratings and you should be able to remove a two-pole breaker and replace it with two single-pole breakers.

It is critically important that you determine if the generator will properly handle ALL of the load (everything turned on at the same time) that you intend to run to the breakers in the transfer switch. Current (and 2008) National Electrical Code requires that unless you use automated load-shedding equipment added into the package.
Skip Douglas
Quote
Canada_Guy
On the 2-pole breakers, is it possible to remove the tie-bar between the handles to convert then to 2-single pole breakers? I know sone brands (Square D), it's possible.
Quote
murphy
Canada_Guy;11781 wrote:
On the 2-pole breakers, is it possible to remove the tie-bar between the handles to convert then to 2-single pole breakers? I know sone brands (Square D), it's possible.


It depends on the breaker. Some breakers have an internal common trip.
Look up the specifications on the following two breakers.

BQ230230
BQC230230

My memory (which may be wrong) says the C in the part number means common trip.
Quote
VHF
When replacing at 15A breaker in the ATS with a 20A breaker, you will need to replace the #14 conductors that run to your main panel (colored hot and white neutral) with #12 conductors.

When replacing a 240V double breaker with two single 120V breakers you will need to add two appropriatately sized white neutral wires from the ATS to your main panel (because Generac doesn't provide a neutral for the 240V circuits, nor would one be needed for an air conditioner or water heater.)
Quote
halp
VHF;12061 wrote:
When replacing at 15A breaker in the ATS with a 20A breaker, you will need to replace the #14 conductors that run to your main panel (colored hot and white neutral) with #12 conductors.

When replacing a 240V double breaker with two single 120V breakers you will need to add two appropriatately sized white neutral wires from the ATS to your main panel (because Generac doesn't provide a neutral for the 240V circuits, nor would one be needed for an air conditioner or water heater.)


Thanks, I plan on replacing the 240V breaker with two 120v breakers and will add neutrals. I will be replacing a 15 amp breaker with a 15 amp AFCI for my bedroom. Otherwise the transfer switch will remain as delivered.
Quote