Hodgy
The forum will not give me access to my original post about a new battery for my 17 KW. A AGM was $340 CAD and a lead acid was $117 CAD so now I have a new battery installed.
Quote
Hodgy
Forum won't let me edit either. Got a lead acid battery.
Quote
Gray
Hodgy;n59935 wrote:
The forum will not give me access to my original post about a new battery for my 17 KW. A AGM was $340 CAD and a lead acid was $117 CAD so now I have a new battery installed.


I saw this a little late, but thought that I would respond.

When I had our system installed (Honeywell Generator, model G0062602, 16kw NG) I used this battery, and it has worked flawlessly for the last 2 years. (I have used Odyssey batteries for going on 2 decades with only stellar performance.)

Odyssey PC1200MJT

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_0789.JPG","data-attachmentid":60151}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_0796.jpg","data-attachmentid":60152}[/ATTACH]
Quote
Cobranut
Gray;n60150 wrote:


I saw this a little late, but thought that I would respond.

When I had our system installed (Honeywell Generator, model G0062602, 16kw NG) I used this battery, and it has worked flawlessly for the last 2 years. (I have used Odyssey batteries for going on 2 decades with only stellar performance.)

Odyssey PC1200MJT

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_0789.JPG","data-attachmentid":60151}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_0796.jpg","data-attachmentid":60152}[/ATTACH]


The first PC1200 in my Cobra lasted almost 12 years, starting a 427 big block.
I do keep it on a Battery Minder though.
Quote
Gray
Cobranut;n60153 wrote:
I do keep it on a Battery Minder though.


This genset supposedly has an integrated battery charging system. On my vehicles I prefer the Deltran Brand "Battery Tender" systems.

I hope the Honeywell/Generac works as well.
Quote
Goofy4TheWorld
I can't say enough great things about Odyssey batteries. I change all my security alarm and UPS batteries at 3 years, but I leave the Odyssey in the generators for 5 years. After I retire the battery from generator use I use it in other things. I have one Odyssey removed at the 5 year mark in 2012 and I am still using it to power a 12V weed killer sprayer and I have not re-charged it one time since it was removed from service in 2012! Last month I took a battery that had been removed from generator service 18 months and threw it in a 1976 RV and it spun it off like a new battery.

They are PAINFUL to buy but their service-life in unmatched!
Quote
Gray
Goofy4TheWorld;n60158 wrote:
They are PAINFUL to buy but their service-life in unmatched!


I try hard to invest in solutions instead of additional problems. I have never had one problem with an Odyssey.

Quote
patmurphey
I switched to that Odyssey battery. I have 2 12 year old cars still on factory AGM batteries. I believe that they are worth the extra cost,
Quote
RJRENTON
Not exactly sure about the AGM vs LA vs CAD controversy......???   The chemistry is the same .  The plate materials are:  Pb (lead) and PbO2 (lead dioxide) with sulfuric acid as the electrolyte (in either liquid or gel form.   The major difference is the construction....absorbent glass mat with semi solid electrolyte or standard plates and liquid electrolyte.
In my opinion, the reason for buying a generator in the first place is to keep the home safe and secure during a utility power outage.  The generator, transfer switch and their installation (if included in the package cost) can amount to $ 5000+, why are we quibbling about the cost of the starting battery ($ 100 - $ 200)?   
The AGM battery will provide the lowest internal  resistance which will yield the highest cold cranking amps (CCA), with the highest terminal voltage for the longest time.   Just buy the best battery available not the cheapest cost battery.    BTW...the AGM batteries when being correctly charged, out gas the least, minimizing the possibly of terminal and surrounding corrosion.
The battery in my vehicles, get ONE (1) chance NOT to start the car....then it's replaced....no fooling around with coaxing by jumping it or charging it.
Just my opinion of course...
Bob Renton 
Quote
UPS
RJRENTON wrote:
Not exactly sure about the AGM vs LA vs CAD controversy......???   The chemistry is the same .  The plate materials are:  Pb (lead) and PbO2 (lead dioxide) with sulfuric acid as the electrolyte (in either liquid or gel form.   The major difference is the construction....absorbent glass mat with semi solid electrolyte or standard plates and liquid electrolyte.
In my opinion, the reason for buying a generator in the first place is to keep the home safe and secure during a utility power outage.  The generator, transfer switch and their installation (if included in the package cost) can amount to $ 5000+, why are we quibbling about the cost of the starting battery ($ 100 - $ 200)?   
The AGM battery will provide the lowest internal  resistance which will yield the highest cold cranking amps (CCA), with the highest terminal voltage for the longest time.   Just buy the best battery available not the cheapest cost battery.    BTW...the AGM batteries when being correctly charged, out gas the least, minimizing the possibly of terminal and surrounding corrosion.
The battery in my vehicles, get ONE (1) chance NOT to start the car....then it's replaced....no fooling around with coaxing by jumping it or charging it.
Just my opinion of course...
Bob Renton 


I'll second that.  Unless the battery ran down for a known reason (lights left on, etc.), the first time it won't start the engine, or cranks very slowly - it should be replaced.

In a car, slow cranking will be noticed.  In a generator, most folks won't notice, unless they are near it at exercise time.  So to be safe it should be replaced every 2 -3 years or so.  If that's done, it may not have to be top of the line.  But it's still only a small percentage of the cost of the generator. 
Quote
Gray
I have never received less than 10 years of excellent service from properly maintained (micro-processor regulated battery maintainer) Odyssey AGM's. Since the generator specifies intelligent battery tending, I would think that the same would apply.
Quote
78buckshot
For those that don't want to spend more than needed, here is a little info. I have new customers that never had maintenance on their generator, conventional lead-acid batteries 6 - 8 years old and still cranking, of course I recommend new and replace them. I have had factory Delco batteries in my personal trucks last 10 years. My current personal truck is diesel with glow plugs, snow plow, all the normal running lights etc., lead -acid batteries. It sits all week at home with the normal parasitic drain, I replaced the 9 year old batteries this year. My point is our generators are not hard on batteries, they have a better life than your car or truck battery due to a near constant state of charge, just saying.
Quote
murphy
Only the early models around 2006 were hard on batteries.  They didn't know when the battery was fully charged and kept right on charging.  This resulted in the water separating into hydrogen and oxygen gas which bubbled up through the electrolyte.  This had a good side as it prevented stratification of the electrolyte.  These had to be monitored and the lost water replaced before the plates were exposed.  Attempting to start the engine with the plates in the battery exposed quite often set off the hydrogen oxygen gas mixture which destroyed the battery and created a huge mess.
Quote
Cobranut
murphy wrote:
Only the early models around 2006 were hard on batteries.  They didn't know when the battery was fully charged and kept right on charging.  This resulted in the water separating into hydrogen and oxygen gas which bubbled up through the electrolyte.  This had a good side as it prevented stratification of the electrolyte.  These had to be monitored and the lost water replaced before the plates were exposed.  Attempting to start the engine with the plates in the battery exposed quite often set off the hydrogen oxygen gas mixture which destroyed the battery and created a huge mess.


I had a lead acid battery explode in a pickup several years ago.
It hadn't been driven regularly, and was a "maintenance free" model without removable caps.
As soon as I tried to crank the engine the top of the battery blew off with a loud bang.
The worst part was it sprayed acid all over the engine bay.  I quickly pushed it out of the garage and rinsed it with the garden hose, but it still caused dark spots in the paint on the inner fenders and bottom of the hood.
Now when I replace a battery, it's an AGM in everything.
My genset still has the original battery, which I check regularly, but when it gets replaced in a couple years it'll be with an Odyssey PC1200 as well.
Quote