sbelyo
Hi All...


I need to know how to get the most out of this generator.
It's rated for 3250 watts

It has 2 circuits on it with 15 amp breakers for those circuits
1 circuit is 120V and has 2 5-20R recepticles
1 circuit is 120/240V and has a L14-20R recepticle


The way it looks to me is that I can only pull about 13.5 amps from each circuit. I don't think that I can combine the output of the 2 circuits can I ?


If that's the case should I use two seprate transfer switches to get output from both circuits distributed to my panel?
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
Most transfer switches (including manual transfer switches for portable generators) are set up the same way as your main breaker panel. By that, I mean that the transfer switch (and your breaker panel) is fed with 240VAC and a neutral connection. Each side of the 240VAC is 120VAC when measured with neutral as a reference.

You can wire up 120VAC loads from either side of the 240VAC to neutral, but you need to ensure that you don't overload each side. In addition, it's best to have a balanced load - roughly the same load on each side of the 240VAC.
Skip Douglas
Quote
sbelyo
Ahh... I see. So with that generator I'm feeding 240 VAC via the 20 amp connector.

Now, with the two breakers on the generator being 15 amp max how much current can I safely pull from the 20 amp connector
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
sbelyo;10259 wrote:
Now, with the two breakers on the generator being 15 amp max how much current can I safely pull from the 20 amp connector
I'd suggest that you check the owner's manual for the answer to that question.
Skip Douglas
Quote
Hotwire
Humor....................

Question:
How does sbelyo get the most out of his GP3250?
Answer:
1. Trade it in for a larger one
2. Put it on ebay
3. Craigslist
:)

I just couldn't resist....sorry
Quote
sbelyo
ha ha...

I actually haven't taken delivery yet. So, I may cancel it and get a different one
Quote
ceb58
sbelyo;10259 wrote:
Ahh... I see. So with that generator I'm feeding 240 VAC via the 20 amp connector.

Now, with the two breakers on the generator being 15 amp max how much current can I safely pull from the 20 amp connector


15 amp

Hotwire;10284 wrote:
Question:
How does sbelyo get the most out of his GP3250?
Answer:
1. Trade it in for a larger one
2. Put it on ebay
3. Craigslist
:)

I just couldn't resist....sorry


Smart ass answer;) but unless you are running small tools and a work light it is a correct answer.
Quote
MikeyfromNC
We used the 3250's and the 5500's last week with Hurricane Irene. The 3250's didn't do as good as I thought they would do, although they are great on fuel. I would opt for the larger one for if it's not too late.
Quote