PatD
Hey gang -

New here. Looking to install a Guardian 17kw unit at home. I have page 35 of the manual, so I know WHERE the bolts are located, but no idea on size or how high to make them. Was hoping to get the bolts into the concrete while pouring the slab.

Anyone have info they can share on this? Thanks.
Quote
ceb58
PatD;11499 wrote:
Hey gang -

New here. Looking to install a Guardian 17kw unit at home. I have page 35 of the manual, so I know WHERE the bolts are located, but no idea on size or how high to make them. Was hoping to get the bolts into the concrete while pouring the slab.

Anyone have info they can share on this? Thanks.


Here is some info.... you are working too hard. Forget trying to set bolts before you pour concrete. You will wind up with a big cluster. Get the gen set in place, wired, piped and every thing then go back with a 1/4" masonry bit and drill the pad and set 1/4" x 2 stainless steel drive pins. Four holes and pins should take about 10 min.
Quote
PatD
Looking at pics of installed generators - am I going to be able to get in there with a hammer drill and such after everything is said and done?
Quote
genme
I agree stainless is the way to go. If I was going your route, I might consider temporarily remove the composite pad (if you have one) and trace the hole locations onto something (possibly a big sheet of cardboard) and use that as a template. Your margin for error is Slim to None (and Slim left town.) :) I might even try to figure out a way to use the composite pad itself as a template.

Don't forget to use anti-seize compound on the stainless to prevent galling and, from what I was told by the bolt manufacturer, possibly breaking the bolt when tightening.

I used wedge anchors after the concrete set up. We positioned the composite pad, marked the holes, removed the composite pad, drilled the holes, inserted the anchors, put the pad over the anchors, then lowered the generator onto the pad (lining up the holes.) The crane on the propane truck made moving the generator easy. Everyone won't have this luxury though.
Model 5875, Nexus controller, 999cc Engine, 20kW LP, 2011
Quote
ceb58
PatD;11502 wrote:
Looking at pics of installed generators - am I going to be able to get in there with a hammer drill and such after everything is said and done?


Shouldn't be a problem. I use the long ones by Bosch sold at Lowe's. You will drill at a slight angle but if you drill deeper it will all work out.
Quote
78buckshot
Unless your concerned about someone stealing the unit I wouldn't bother bolting it down, they don't move on the concrete.
Quote
PatD
78buckshot;11508 wrote:
Unless your concerned about someone stealing the unit I wouldn't bother bolting it down, they don't move on the concrete.


Exactly what I'm worried about. We live in a nice area, crime isn't a big problem. But lately, people's AC compressors have been stolen for the copper value. As more and more of us add in generators due to all of our power issues, those will be next. I want to at least slow someone down.
Quote
d11gnccer
I work in the HVAC industry and see alot of copper thefts. Mainly because they can cut it up and go quickly. My guess is that it will be a while before generator theft is an issue. Too heavy to move. Scrap metal value is low. Too many numbers in the unit that can be traced.
Quote
78buckshot
In that case I would use the hammer drill and lead shield method, or you could do as one of our more recent generator customers has done, HE INSTALLED THE GENERATOR IN HIS ATTACHED GARAGE!!!!!!!!!!! We went on the call and found a very poor installation besides the location of the unit. You run into everything under the sun in the service business.
Quote
PatD
d11gnccer;11510 wrote:
I work in the HVAC industry and see alot of copper thefts. Mainly because they can cut it up and go quickly. My guess is that it will be a while before generator theft is an issue. Too heavy to move. Scrap metal value is low. Too many numbers in the unit that can be traced.



Around here, they're not cutting it up and running. They're taking the WHOLE UNIT!
Quote
phabib
There are tamper resistant nuts made that make it harder to remove the fasteners. However, since the pad would take about 3 minutes to either cut or break with a hammer, I don't think they're really worth the effort.

Maybe the thing to do is to drill into the concrete from the inside of the generator box through the metal of the enclosure. That would require enough work to get to that it would slow people down a bit.
Quote
ceb58
Install it in a location that it would be hard to see from the street.
Keep your homeowners insurance paid.
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
ceb58;11521 wrote:
Install it in a location that it would be hard to see from the street.
You could hide the generator from street-side observation by planting a shrub or two a few feet away from the generator.
Skip Douglas
Quote
genme
I've thought about hiding our generator behind bushes, a fence, etc. I decided (in our situation) that it's better to let some neighbors "see" the generator so they can keep an eye on it, and not provide cover for the criminals.

I have considered taking the 20kW badge off of the generator, and peeling the Generac sticker off of it. Do you think this would be a good idea, bad idea, or makes no difference?

I'd really like to load up the cabinet with steel free weights that I don't use. At least I can give the thieves a hernia or two.
Model 5875, Nexus controller, 999cc Engine, 20kW LP, 2011
Quote
ceb58
genme;11523 wrote:
I've thought about hiding our generator behind bushes, a fence, etc. I decided (in our situation) that it's better to let some neighbors "see" the generator so they can keep an eye on it, and not provide cover for the criminals.

I have considered taking the 20kW badge off of the generator, and peeling the Generac sticker off of it. Do you think this would be a good idea, bad idea, or makes no difference?

I'd really like to load up the cabinet with steel free weights that I don't use. At least I can give the thieves a hernia or two.


Leave the Generac sticker on it. If they see it they may not want it :rolleyes:
Quote
PatD
Luckily we live in a cul-de-sac, and all of about five people will really know it's there. Until the electric goes out and we're one of the few with lights on!
Quote
Ira
If you have a home security system, there are a number of ways to "tie it in" so that tampering with it would cause an alarm condition.
Quote
genme
ceb58;11525 wrote:
Leave the Generac sticker on it. If they see it they may not want it :rolleyes:
LoL
Model 5875, Nexus controller, 999cc Engine, 20kW LP, 2011
Quote