BrianMartin
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share a silly issue I've come across on 3 separate generators now. A customer calls and tells me that there lights are dimming under generator power, and it sounds like the engine is hunting or surging.

Experience has taught me to first check airflow. So I lift the airbox cover, and the engine smooths out. Filter is good.. Stepper motor functioning.. So I look further down the air intake.

Turns out, the wire harness under the controller was hanging too close to the intake above the battery and being sucked in just enough to restrict airflow. A couple zip-ties and the problem is solved.

Easy fix, but could be a head scratcher if you've never seen it before!
Quote
Ron Goldstein Rongold
Surging

GOOD FIND !!! This could possibly be a lot of people's problems !!! There have been quite a few "surging & hunting" threads on here recently.


RON
Quote
restosud
what model generators?
Quote
78buckshot
On the same note with wire harness issues, worked on one a few weeks ago, ohm'd the stepper-bad stepper. What I really found was the stepper wire harness was sucked into the flywheel and cut the wires, that was still under warranty.
Quote
Cobranut
78buckshot;52878 wrote:
On the same note with wire harness issues, worked on one a few weeks ago, ohm'd the stepper-bad stepper. What I really found was the stepper wire harness was sucked into the flywheel and cut the wires, that was still under warranty.


Really??? That's very poor quality assurance.
Properly routing and securing a wiring harness is such a basic task, you'd think they could get it right. :eek:
Quote
UPS
BrianMartin;52874 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share a silly issue I've come across on 3 separate generators now. A customer calls and tells me that there lights are dimming under generator power, and it sounds like the engine is hunting or surging.

Experience has taught me to first check airflow. So I lift the airbox cover, and the engine smooths out. Filter is good.. Stepper motor functioning.. So I look further down the air intake.

Turns out, the wire harness under the controller was hanging too close to the intake above the battery and being sucked in just enough to restrict airflow. A couple zip-ties and the problem is solved.

Easy fix, but could be a head scratcher if you've never seen it before!


Rongold;52875 wrote:
GOOD FIND !!! This could possibly be a lot of people's problems !!! There have been quite a few "surging & hunting" threads on here recently.
RON



Probably someone on the assembly line left a tie or two out, or a clip, and it could probably happen on any model. It's easy enough to check on any system.
Quote
BrianMartin
It was a 6461. I've seen it on a 6250 also. But im sure it could happen on any of the models with the newer enclosure.
Quote