bobkate6
Model# 0058700
8 kilowatt Generac
Well here is what happened. The electrician cut all the 18Ga wires coming from the transfer switch in order to make them longer. At this point nothing was connected to the actual generator. Unfortunately the utility was powered and both The N1 and N2 5 amp fuses were blown. I have replaced the fuses and connected everything to the generator. In auto mode the generator will not shut off when utility power is returned to the transfer switch but will power the switch in the absence of utility power. When running with utility power on it continually tries to make the switch back to utility but then immediately goes back to generator power. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
It sounds to me like the 240 VAC (via the N1/N2 wires) is not making it to the generator or the devices that use that voltage to determine that utility power exists may have been damaged.

Do you have a good multimeter and the skill to use it?

I hope that there is a junction box where the cuts were made. By code, no splicing can legally be done inside a conduit run unless the splices are in an accessible junction box of the correct size.
Skip Douglas
Quote
Canada_Guy
Did the electrician cut all the 18Ga wires while hot? Is this what blew the 2 5-amp fuses? If so, 240VAC would have been applied to the other wires as the cutter cut though the wires potiential causing damage to the devices/circuits attached.

What does the generator display/indicators show?
Quote
bobkate6
SkipD;9272 wrote:
It sounds to me like the 240 VAC (via the N1/N2 wires) is not making it to the generator or the devices that use that voltage to determine that utility power exists may have been damaged.

Do you have a good multimeter and the skill to use it?

I hope that there is a junction box where the cuts were made. By code, no splicing can legally be done inside a conduit run unless the splices are in an accessible junction box of the correct size.


All connections are in junction box . I have 240 at N1 and N2 in both the generator and the transfer switch. I do have multimeter and am average at best in using it
Quote
bobkate6
Canada_Guy;9273 wrote:
Did the electrician cut all the 18Ga wires while hot? Is this what blew the 2 5-amp fuses? If so, 240VAC would have been applied to the other wires as the cutter cut though the wires potiential causing damage to the devices/circuits attached.

What does the generator display/indicators show?


Yes that is what happened he cut three and got a spark then shut power off to cut the rest. The display shows no errors and activation went smoothly till gen wouldn't shut off
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
bobkate6;9275 wrote:
Yes that is what happened he cut three and got a spark then shut power off to cut the rest. The display shows no errors and activation went smoothly till gen wouldn't shut off
Bill the electrician for the necessary repairs as he did something extremely stupid.
Skip Douglas
Quote
johnc
Too bad he used wire cutters with insulated handles. Could have cleaned up the gene pool otherwise.
Quote