I read on one of NASA's spaceweather sites that the fastest CME can impact the Earth in 15-18 hours, although the slowest ones can several days. However if the produced CME travels faster than the background solar wind speed it can generate a shock wave. These shock waves can accelerate charged particles ahead of them along the connecting interplanetary magnetic lines– causing increased radiation storm potential or intensity. NASA's DSCOVR satellite can detect these leading shock waves, of which we may only get a 15 to 60 minute warning.
Our genset sits on the base it came with, on a gravel pad that we leveled. Its heavy, but I think we could tip it to place copper mesh underneath. Would we have to re-engineer the installation with a cement pad? If we had enough advance warning, I think I would shut off the propane and disconnect it, as well as the electrical lines coming from the transfer switch. Question, if the transfer switch is fried, would the connection from the genset to the home still be available? Or would we have to replace the transfer switch to get connectivity? If we shut down the grid power manually at the meter, would it be more likely that the transfer switch would survive?
We don't have neighbors within an extension cord reach. Our 'subdivision' is isolated well out in ranch country, along with about 20 other homes, most with 10 - 15 acres and some completely off-grid. We figured if we can get our system through any problem, we can all work together to keep folks comfortable until the grid is re-energized.