Wdan432
I am installing a 45kw LC unit on an existing 200amp service. What type of switch do you suggest I use for this installation?
Quote
mastr
You are going to have to come up with more details and maybe a picture or two if you want a useful answer. Based on the minimal information you have supplied, all I can suggest is a "transfer switch".
Quote
ceb58
mastr;10919 wrote:
You are going to have to come up with more details and maybe a picture or two if you want a useful answer. Based on the minimal information you have supplied, all I can suggest is a "transfer switch".


You can do better. A "200 amp rated transfer switch"
Quote
mastr
ceb58;10927 wrote:
You can do better. A "200 amp rated transfer switch"


I certainly can, with the right incentive. The whole show isn't free. :)
Quote
Wdan432
Load Shed ATS?

Sorry for lack of info. I have an existing 200amp service with 100 amp sub panel. Customer has multiple servers (20-25) with UPS back-ups thus the larger generator to make up for the UPS loads. I have installed several 20kw air cooled and used 200amp SR ATS. I have never installed a liquid cooled and did not know if I would still be using the load shedding transfer switch with such a large generator which can easily absorb full loads at all times. Please advise:)
Quote
douglas123
Welcome to the world of commercial and leading up to industrial gensets. There are a mutitude of options,but not knowing exactly what generator you are planning to install is the start of your process to finding the info you need. Generators have many options of control panels and that dictates what stlye of transfer switch you need to be looking at.
Quote
Wdan432
48kw quietsource genset
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
Wdan432;10940 wrote:
48kw quietsource genset
There has to be a model number and serial number inside the generator housing and that's what the techs need.
Skip Douglas
Quote
bucdup
Wdan432;10938 wrote:
I have never installed a liquid cooled and did not know if I would still be using the load shedding transfer switch with such a large generator which can easily absorb full loads at all times. Please advise:)


Don't mean to beat you up here, but it is no wonder we see posts on here from end users whose generator is not working properly or are frustrated with the performance and/or installation. Then when there is a problem, they say "I called the contractor who installed it, but he won't return my calls". What you are asking should be very basic knowledge for a "contractor" doing generator installations.

Hire a pro or get proper training. Do not experiment on a customers server room.
Quote
Wdan432
"help involving the install of Generac generators" NOT

If I didn't care about the customer I wouldn't be asking this question before doing project. I haven't ordered any product yet I am just trying to see what other installers are using in these circumstances. .... I am new to the liquid cooled end and thought it would be a good idea to reach out on this forum and gain some knowledge. The title for the Installation Talk page is "questions and Concerns".
Quote
ceb58
We still need more relative info. what size UPS? Is this a NEC Art. 701 or 702 install? From just what you have said a 200amp GTS TS would be fine.
Quote
Wdan432
This is not a critical support or 702 install. Residential application.
Quote
ceb58
Wdan432;10952 wrote:
This is not a critical support or 702 install. Residential application.


Which is it? You stated
Quote:
Customer has multiple servers (20-25) with UPS back-ups thus the larger generator to make up for the UPS loads.


Sounds commercial to me. As far as the NEC Art.702 is for optional standby systems. That Art. can and dose apply to residential,commercial and industrial. So if it has not been deemed as emergency or legally required by the AHJ it is optional.
Quote
mastr
Wdan432- Look out.

Sounds like the kind of install that makes for a nightmare, where your customer expects far more than he has paid for. Sure it is probably in someone's house, and it isn't critical in the sense that someone might die if it fails (and it will at some point). But "Mr. Customer" will be on the phone jumping up and down if every thing doesn't run exactly as it would on utility power 10 seconds after the first blink.



Good luck.
Quote