newguy
Ok - so I have done some basic troubleshooting, but need some help.

The genset has 57.1 hours, and exercises every saturday, except the last few...

I went out to check on it today, and it won't start in Manual mode. I checked the fuses, which are good, and also the battery - which has about 13.5 volts. I verified the quality of the connections and that there is 13.5v at the starter.

There is no clicking, no lights on the dashboard, unless I pull the fuses and put them back in - then ALL the lights light up for a few seconds.

So in auto mode or manual mode it won't crank.. no clicks no lights...

Any ideas?
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
The voltage that you measure across the battery may be just the voltage from the charger. Disconnect the leads from the battery and then measure the battery voltage.

Also - SAFETY ITEM - while the battery is disconnected, check the fluid levels in all of the cells. If any of them are at all low, top them up with distilled water. If the plates in the battery are uncovered, the battery could explode under certain conditions.

If things look good with the battery disconnected and if the fluid levels are OK in the cells, measure the voltage while attempting to start the generator.
Skip Douglas
Quote
newguy
I pulled the battery - and the charger puts out 13.6V and I also tried a known good battery - and still no response what-so-ever from the genset. No clicking, no cranking...

The battery in the genset is a "sealed" battery where I can't get the covers off to see the fluid level.

I pulled the 5A and 15A fuses again, and when I put the 5A back in - all the LED's on the unit flash one time for a few seconds - then nothing after that.

I've tried AUTO, MANUAL and tried to re-set the exercise time. Nothing.

Checked the oil level - that is good...

Any other ideas?
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
I think that you might find this [URL="http://www.guardiangenerators.com/PublicPDFs/0e3586.pdf"][COLOR=Blue][U]Diagnostic Repair Manual[/U][/COLOR][/URL] useful for troubleshooting your unit.
Skip Douglas
Quote
newguy
Got it started... but it was like rubbing my belly while patting my head and standing on one foot all at once. (in the dark none-the-less)

So it still does not run the way it should, but by disconnecting the battery, pulling the fuses and then setting it to "AUTO" and pressing the "Set exercise time" and then switching to "MANUAL" I got it to crank and start.

I ran it for about 25 min under load - and it runs fine and has power output like it should, but now it won't crank again.

I just switched it like I did the first time and the green "system set" light comes on - and I heard relay's clicking, then it gave me the "Overcrank" light.

oh, and in AUTO mode it shut off - while I had the utility power disconnected - and it was powering the house, and the gen was in MANUAL mode to start it up. So the AUTO mode does not work at all...

I have downloaded the service manual, but am still trying to make heads and tails of it all...

We know the starter, engine and battery are fine. The AUTO/OFF/MANUAL switch does something... and there are the other electronics under the hood...

I'm still diggin into it, but any more advice?
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
newguy;8643 wrote:
I'm still diggin into it, but any more advice?
I'll have to pass this on to the folks who work on these things a lot. I know how to get around my own machine fairly well, but my career before retirement wasn't working on these generators. I was a tech and systems developer for industrial process control systems for 39 years. ;)
Skip Douglas
Quote
newguy
FIGURED IT OUT!

The AUTO/OFF/MANUAL switch was failing. Some De-Oxit in there made it work fine...

Then the connection for power at the starter was loose. The solenoid was working, but the wire from the solenoid to the starter was loose at the starter location.

It's all fixed and working great now!

Thanks for your help!
Quote
Skip Douglas SkipD
newguy;8645 wrote:
FIGURED IT OUT!

The AUTO/OFF/MANUAL switch was failing. Some De-Oxit in there made it work fine...

Then the connection for power at the starter was loose. The solenoid was working, but the wire from the solenoid to the starter was loose at the starter location.

It's all fixed and working great now!

Thanks for your help!
Great.

I used to use (and still do - left over cans after I retired) an old product from Caig Laboratories called Cramolin. It's basically the same as De-Oxit according to what folks tell me. I did find that when I used it to get rid of corrosion I had to flush away what it lifted off the contacts a few days later and apply a little more for the long term. You might want to flush out the switch with a degreasing cleaner in a week or two and then spray a little more De-Oxit in there.
Skip Douglas
Quote