buzzbar
Hi all,

I am trying to troubleshoot a 17KW Generac home standby generator. This generator started up when the power went out, but about two hours after the power outage, the generator stopped putting out voltage. The utility power was still off, and the generator was running just fine.

I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this issue.

The generator is dated 2008, and says 'Siemens' on the outside cover, but it's a
Generac setup, looks like the guardian series. The model number says "0055610" with a serial number of 5069896.

Thanks!

Andy
Quote
skutflut
buzzbar;35015 wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to troubleshoot a 17KW Generac home standby generator. This generator started up when the power went out, but about two hours after the power outage, the generator stopped putting out voltage. The utility power was still off, and the generator was running just fine.

I would appreciate any advice on how to fix this issue.

The generator is dated 2008, and says 'Siemens' on the outside cover, but it's a
Generac setup, looks like the guardian series. The model number says "0055610" with a serial number of 5069896.

Thanks!

Andy


First thing I would look at it the generator main breaker on the side of the cabinet and see if that is tripped. Any idea how much load you had on it when the generator quit delivering power? Any alarm codes showing on the generator?
Quote
BrentB
First thing I'd look for on a 2008 16 or 17 kW is copper windings in the bottom of the unit. That year had an extra production run due to hurricanes. Fixed about 30 down here. did three or four earlier this year. Call the factory and ask for a control # and the send rotor, stator, brushes, brush wires and voltage regulator.
Quote
buzzbar
The breaker is not tripped. I'm an electrical contractor, but have not repaired a generator before.

When you say to call the factory and ask for a control #, do you mean to ship the whole thing back to get rebuilt? If so, what's the approximate cost on this? I assume that the warranty is expired (five years?).

Thank you very much for the advice!

Andy
Quote
MEC
buzzbar;35027 wrote:
The breaker is not tripped. I'm an electrical contractor, but have not repaired a generator before.

When you say to call the factory and ask for a control #, do you mean to ship the whole thing back to get rebuilt? If so, what's the approximate cost on this? I assume that the warranty is expired (five years?).

Thank you very much for the advice!

Andy


We need control numbers for work that is over $1k or non typical.
It would have to be done by a local service dealer.
Quote
buzzbar
Okay, what is a control number? I'm perfectly willing to pass this along to an authorized service tech. Another question would be this: Is this repair worth doing? Or would he be better off getting a new generator? I'm seeing that a similar generator is in the $3,200 range (not counting labor to install).
Quote
Grady22
Typically the generator will shut down when the control board sees no voltage output. Did you measure the voltage going to the output breaker with the unit running? You might have a bad output breaker.
Quote
MEC
Certain repairs will get rejected without prior approval. The approval would be their way of controlling their warranty expenditures.
Quote
nrp3
Probably worth a new voltage regulator as well. We as dealers can get this taken care of for you and your customer. I second the windings in the pan. If the unit doesn't have too many hours on it, its probably worth having it done. Factory might even cover the whole thing. These that have failed like this keep running on even though no or low voltage.
Quote
BrentB
Every one I have done, the factory has. Covered both materials and labor even though they are long out of warranty. If you do see windings, call a dealer and show him this thread if he has any questions we can help.
Quote
BrentB
Grady22;35032 wrote:
Typically the generator will shut down when the control board sees no voltage output. Did you measure the voltage going to the output breaker with the unit running? You might have a bad output breaker.


2008 doesn't shut down for no voltage. I've seen a blown rotor run until the windings seized the rotor inside the stator. Shut down on rpm sense loss. Had to beat the rotor out with a 5 pounder to be able to lift it in the truck!
Quote
buzzbar
Grady22;35032 wrote:
Typically the generator will shut down when the control board sees no voltage output. Did you measure the voltage going to the output breaker with the unit running? You might have a bad output breaker.


There is NO voltage going to the line side of the breaker, so the breaker is not the issue.
Quote
buzzbar
MEC;35033 wrote:
Certain repairs will get rejected without prior approval. The approval would be their way of controlling their warranty expenditures.


This generator is seven years old. Do you think the warranty might still cover the repairs?
Quote
buzzbar
BrentB;35039 wrote:
Every one I have done, the factory has. Covered both materials and labor even though they are long out of warranty. If you do see windings, call a dealer and show him this thread if he has any questions we can help.

Thanks, I'll do that.
Quote
Canada_Guy
BrentB;35025 wrote:
First thing I'd look for on a 2008 16 or 17 kW is copper windings in the bottom of the unit.


Where would you see the scraps of the windings? Would they make their way out of the stator assembly and be visible in the bottom of the enclosure/cabinet?

Is the the China made outsourcing issue they had at one time?

.
Quote
nrp3
You'll see the red varnish and windings in the pan.

[URL=http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/nrp33/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1A89273A-2DB2-4C74-9CD5-7FF3DE804962_zpsbazcskpl.jpg.html][/URL]
Quote
nrp3
Another:

[URL=http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/nrp33/media/Mobile%20Uploads/43D50E13-982D-4C0E-A076-2FC446244DF5_zpsfo1ndcm8.jpg.html][/URL]
Quote
MEC
Canada_Guy;35051 wrote:
Where would you see the scraps of the windings? Would they make their way out of the stator assembly and be visible in the bottom of the enclosure/cabinet?

Is the the China made outsourcing issue they had at one time?

.


Yes and yes.
The other issue prior to 2008 was the VR. Most go high and when they do it can fry whatever is connected to it.
Quote
UPS
Wow. Any idea what the manufacturing problem was? Bad insulation on the copper or damage to it when the rotor or stator was wound? Looks like it must develop a short while running?
Quote
nrp3
Not sure, but they have been good about taking care of the customer in the couple of cases I have seen.
Quote
John R
WOW, what a mess.
Quote