• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Oil shut down question

Hi guys,

I have a customer with a...

Model # - QT02224ANAX
    Serial # - 7884255

He called saying his generator has shut down with low oil. He checked the oil level, and it is good. He's due for his annual maintenance, so I'll be making the trek to see the unit shortly. I've ordered an oil pressure switch to have with me. If the switch doesn't come in before I go, is there a way to bypass the switch (once I've tested that oil pressure is actually good) so that he has use of the generator until the switch can be replaced?

Thanks

If its normally open, remove one wire. If its normally closed, short the wires together. Neither of these is recommended, as a loose oil filter could drain the oil in no time without shutdown protection!

Comment

Easy enough, it's normally closed... Oh he will be made aware of the risks.. in writing.. But the customer does NOT want to be without power if there should be an outage in the next 2 weeks or so, while we wait for the switch.

Comment

Thanks for the reply btw!

Comment

Normally these kinds of switches are easily available at an auto parts store.

Comment

Oh Really? I've bought alternators, contractors etc at autopart stores but I've never tried looking for this.. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

But you have to find a parts guy who knows how to look it up with other than make, model, year, color, with or without air conditioning, etc.

Comment

Right. I've run into that problem looking for a rad hose.. Found a guy that will take the time to find the correct part.

Comment

Radiator hoses are a real pain, they just hand me the catalog and I just flip through it for ages until I see something that looks like it will fit by cutting off one end or the other. Then you have to find one that is actually stocked somewhere.

OPS is pretty standard though. 1 or 2 pages of the catalog should get to the right one.

Comment

except most automotive ops are normally closed .

Comment

Luckily the ops came in today so I don't need to go hunting. Hopefully the ops is the issue.. or ill be back!

Comment

except most automotive ops are normally closed
                        I carry one on the truck that has one NC, one NO and a common contact to hopefully cover any situation.

Comment

Originally posted by BrentB View Post
                          If its normally open, remove one wire. If its normally closed, short the wires together. Neither of these is recommended, as a loose oil filter could drain the oil in no time without shutdown protection!
                          "Normal" would be the condition the switch is in "with no influence on it". I.e, engine not running. The Generac oil switches close when they lose pressure. I hate this, as a disconnected wire leaves you with no protection.

The controllers ignore the first ten seconds, to allow time for pressure to build from 0 and finally open the switch so that it will continue to run. So the switch is "normally closed".

I also would not be the one to disconnect this switch and leave. Not me.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 69 users online. 6 members and 63 guests.

Most users ever online was 398 at 06:02 PM on April 4th, 2016.

Working...
                          X