Overvoltage / High voltage, No shutdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overvoltage / High voltage, No shutdown

Have following problem; Generac 20kW creates high voltage without unit to shutdown automatically. Did damage several GFCI's in the house as well several transformers (HVAC, Dishwasher).

Yesterday, output at the MLCB was about 260Volt. With test3 - calibrate voltage I was able to bring it down to 240V, but only with to high calibration factor 1080 instead of the allow maximum of 1040.

Today, output voltage at the MLCB was 240V.

Did some measurements and settings today and discovered following behavior;
    - measured output at the MLCB are inconsistent with the Output Voltage shown in the Nexus menu. In the Nexus menu it shows consistent 240 V Output whatever the calibration settings are. At the MLCB it shows about 236V with 1040 Calibration and 245V with 990 Calibration. So it seems that calibration is changing Voltage, but the Menu at the nexus continue to show 240V Output whatever the calibration is.

Could the controller be the source of problems, meaning high voltage not being detected by the controller?

Last edited by SkipD; 1 week ago.

Additional info: Controller 0H6680D, Rev. J and Software Rev. D.

Comment

I use several Fluke meters, the control screen does not normally agree with my meters, I suspect you will be replacing the control but for now if your getting 236 vac at 1040 I would leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ch1derco View Post
        Have following problem; generac 20kw creates high voltage without unit to shutdown automatically. Did damage several GFCI's in the house as well several transformers (HVAC, Dishwasher).

Yesterday, output at the MLCB was about 260Volt. With test3 - calibrate voltage I was able to bring it down to 240V, but only with to high calibration factor 1080 instead of the allow maximum of 1040.

Today, output voltage at the MLCB was 240V.

Did some measurements and settings today and discovered following behavior;
        - measured output at the MLCB are inconsistent with the Output Voltage shown in the Nexus menu. In the Nexus menu it shows consistent 240 V Output whatever the calibration settings are. At the MLCB it shows about 236V with 1040 Calibration and 245V with 990 Calibration. So it seems that calibration is changing Voltage, but the Menu at the nexus continue to show 240V Output whatever the calibration is.

Could the controller be the source of problems, meaning high voltage not being detected by the controller?
        What brand and model of voltmeter are you using to diagnose your generator's output? The reason that I ask is because many (primarily low-priced) meters cannot provide proper AC voltage or frequency when measuring the output of these generators.
        Skip Douglas

Comment

>>>"but only with to high calibration factor 1080 instead of the allow maximum of 1040."

So after reading not to set the controller above 1040, you proceed to set it to 1080?

"Calibration factor must NOT be adjusted below 990 or above 1040. Adjusting outside of this window could result in damage to the generator." Surely you read that too?

I have NEVER set a nexus control above 1039. Now you see the need for those passwords.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 68 users online. 6 members and 62 guests.

Most users ever online was 398 at 06:02 PM on April 4th, 2016.

Working...
          X